Monday, July 7, 2014

HAPPINESS isn't DETERMINED by our CIRCUMSTANCES but by the PRINCIPLES WE LIVE...

Fambam, 

Well first of all, I hope you all had a great 4th of July; I know I did. But really, living in South America helps me realize how blessed I am to have been born in America. Even though I don't like it when my comps call me rich or pituco, it's true that we have a more privileged life.  We have a lot more things and are a little more advanced in technology and health and have a little more freedom. But I have also realized where you live and what you have doesn't determine your happiness. I have met so many happy people here who don't have very much, who live in adobe houses and live-day by-day and sometimes don't have money to buy food but are still so happy and loving. But a phrase that I think I've mentioned before that I love is, Happiness isn't determined by our circumstances but the principles we live. If we are obedient and repent daily and humble ourselves, we will be able to overcome all things and have peace more than anything.

I was able to see that this week. This week we were in the house of an investigator and she told us that she had a friend who is a member of the church and that her friend wanted to talk to us. We didn't recognize the directions or the name of the member but we searched out her house. When she opened the door and saw us standing in the doorway, she got really excited and insisted that we come in. We found out that she was baptized at the age of 14 but has been inactive her whole life. She is the only member of her family but her daughter wants to be baptized. She also has a baby that has been really sick so we were able to give her a blessing as well. When we talked to her she started to cry because it had been along time since she had received a visit from someone in the church. She was super grateful and she says she wants the church back in her life and wants us to help convert her husband so they can be an eternal fam. 

That same Sunday the fam came! So that  was an experience that made my week. In this mission we are trying to focus on rescue. A rescue is when someone returns back to church after a long time. They try to teach us that it's equal to a baptism as well, which is very true cuz the goal is the temple and the Celestial Kingdom. So anyone who is not on the right path, whether it's a nonmember or a member, needs to be rescued. This week another sister attended for the 3rd time in 2 years and received an interview with the bishop. She is now fully pumped again in the straight and narrow path and has been rescued. This week we also put a baptismal date with Karen for the 19th of July. She's still a little bit confused and unsure but we promised her that if everyday she reads and prays for answers and if she attends church every week before her date, she will feel sure. We felt pretty good about promising her that and I think that she felt pretty comforted as well. 

Well I started teaching English class again. Only two kids showed up but it was pretty epic. My comp and I are working hard. I can tell that he might not be used to working like this and sometimes he doesn't want to, but he's been a good sport and we have kept a good relationship together. I love the kid. Today we went to Plimentel, a famous beach, but it was pretty blown-out and there were no surfers. The new president I met in a zone meeting. He's super awesome, crazy and funny. He's a great guy and it looks like the mission is gonna be different but in a good way. Well I gots to go but I love you all.

Besitos, los quiero 


Elder Harper






No comments:

Post a Comment