Monday, May 19, 2014

A GRINGO FOUND HIM and a GRINGO BURIED HIM....

Hola Familia! 

Thanks for all the emails folks, it definitely means a lot. Well it looks like I will have at least another transfer as Pastor Harper. 

This week was a really trying hard-working week. We were able to teach many lessons and we were able to find a few more people to teach as well. But despite all the hard work, when it  came to Saturday, we realized that a lot of the people were not progressing. The members were coming to church, we have been working the hardest we have ever worked in our missions, but we just weren't seeing the results. Sunday morning we went on splits with some of the youth to teach investigators and remind members about church and when we arrived at the chapel at 3 almost no one was there. I had to direct the Sacrament Meeting but I decided to wait a little bit longer cuz usually the people here aren't too punctual. but at 3:30 we started it and right as we were starting, about 7 inactive members walked in. It was such a greet feeling seeing these people who I have visited for months and have distanced themselves from the church for years finally return to renew their covenants that they have made with God. The spirit was super strong during this meeting like if we were in a batism or something. Finally we were able to see the fruits of our Labor and now we just have to keep these people pumped so they can always come and enjoy the blessings of the Gospel. We are still a little worried for some members who have not been coming who have been strong before but this meeting taught hope and how the Blessings of the Gospel always come when we are faithful, work hard and Keep the Commandments of God. There is a quote from Thomas S. Monson that says something like ..some blessings you receive instantly, others take awhile and others are only received in heaven, but the blessing will come. So coming out of this Sunday, we are super stoked and ready to continue working hard, remembering that patience plays a big role in missionary work.

Saturday a good friend of ours passed away, his name was "ComoTu" .... he was the Dog of the sister that washes our clothes. As much as I hate the filthy mutts of Peru, I definitely loved this Dog. Every one knew him as the Missionaries' Dog cuz he always would follow us around in the streets and try to enter the house we went to. He would always greet us. I guess also the last Gringo missionary that was here found him and gave him to the sister. Haha the sister told me that she was content because a gringo found him and a gringo buried him. We buried him in front of the sister's house Saturday night and had to comfort the little kids after with D&C 77. Well I don't know why I told that story but it seems like I'm running out of things to say these days haha. 

Rosa is still excited to be baptized and came to church and loved it this Sunday. She's already made many friends with the awesome youth here. We just need to talk to her dad to get permission for her to be baptized. The good thing is that a lot of her cousins and fam are members of the church.

Well I've been loving my personal studies lately and I have been feeling like the spirit has been present in my life stronger and more active than ever before. I read and inspiring quote from Boyd K. Packer that says we have to learn to walk to the edge of the light and after take a few steps in the darkness and then the light will appear and show us the way. I feel this is the way the spirit has worked with me in the mission, even though I may have liked it to be like flipping a switch and instantly the light is there. I have learned so much more along the journey and the faith it takes to take those few steps in the darkness. Sometimes we may not know everything or be confident in what we do know or know the exact reason why we do it when it comes to keeping the commandments and serving the Lord. But when we trust in the Lord and serve Him with all our might, He will always lighten the path for us and we will always be blessed after we have showed the trial of our faith. 

I have learned so many things in the mission field up to now, but the things I have learned have taken a process of 9 months to learn and to strengthen.  I know that I will keep learning and strengthening these things all of my life. I'm so thankful for this time I have to serve and I'm scared cuz the time goes by wait too fast and I know these short 2 years will be a blur to me in the future but I'm trying to live in the moment. Thanks for all your loving fam bam and my dearest friends. You guys are helping me to keep on going and to change my life little by little. ......Mother, I'm sorry but I can't send pics or even take pics right now cuz the filthy computers here have messed up my memory cards so I'm gonna try to get them fixed but in the mean time just look at the many sick pics Abs sends every week. Well love you all! later skaters....


Elder Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment